Re: Microtek ScanMaker E3 -> crashes the computer

From: John Fremlin (vii@penguinpowered.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:14:16 PDT

    Claude Lefrancois <lefranco@cae.ca> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to bring a Microtek ScanMaker E3 to work under RedHat
    > Linux 6.2 (Kernel 2.2.12-6.0.1smp). My computer is a dual capable

    [...]

    > The problem occurs when I try to make the scanner works. If I run a
    > scanner program (scanimage), I can ear the scanner doing some sort of
    > initialisation routines and then the scanner stops forever. The
    > program never returns and after some SCSI timeout the computer
    > experiences a kernel crash and the whole system hangs. I enabled the

    This happened a lot when developing the Microtek2 USB driver.

    Kernel crash means kernel bug (possibly in the SCSI host controller
    driver, I know, our virtual USB one did it a lot). Have you tried a
    devel kernel or just a non-SMP enabled one?

    (Speak to linux-scsi about it.)

    --

    http://altern.org/vii