"Standard" or "best" image format?

From: Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 08:38:05 PDT

      In which format do you save your raw scans? I don't know a whole lot
      about image formats. What I do know is that one would want quality,
      so JPEGs are out. One doesn't want it to be encumbered by
      proprietary formats, so GIFs are out. One wants the format to be
      portable so that it can be used by all software. Are there other
      considerations that I have neglected?

      xsane chooses PNM by default, vuescan chooses TIF. Which one should
      I choose? Are there any references that discusses these issues?

    --
    Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
    Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ. Vote Libertarian!