Re: EPSON GT-8000

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 17:13:51 PDT

    On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 09:02:22PM +0200, Alain ROTH wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > EPSON GT-8000...
    >
    > I try
    >
    > # scanimage -d epson --mode color >scan.log 2>&1
    >
    > And the scanner fault...
    >
    > # [epson] code f2
    > # [epson] error, expected STX
    >

    > What's the meaning of STX ?

    That's part of the EPSON communication protocol: When the scanner
    sends STX as an acknowledge message then it has more data to
    transmit. A command that does not produce any scanner data is
    answered with ACK (set resolution will only send ACK to let
    the software know that it was able to set the resolution),
    get identity will send information about the scanner, so it
    will first send STX, which also means that the length of
    the data block is transmitted after the STX.

    0xf2 is something the scanner will never produce as return code,
    this again is an indication for SCSI problems (as I suggested
    before). Unfortunately I don't have access to any flavour of
    BSD so I can not test this myself. Is anybody on this list
    using an EPSON SCSI scanner with BSD?

    Karl Heinz

    --
    Karl Heinz Kremer                                      khk@khk.net