Re: SnapScan

From: Oliver Schwartz (Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 07:26:25 PDT

    > > However, the RGB offsets as I understand them are not an offset in value but a
    > > spatial offset. E. g. if you scan a black square on white background in
    > > color mode it doesn't have sharp edges but maybe a blue edge on one side and an
    > > orange edge on the other. Just try it.
    >
    > This is interesting. Is there a solution/fix for this? I'm asking because I'm
    > in the process of implementing a correction for the same "feature" in the
    > EPSON Perfection 610 scanner.

    Obviously some effort has been made in the current snapscan backend, but for
    some reason the code is now marked as obsolete and #ifdef'ed. Most of it can
    be found in snapscan-310.c. If I understand the solution correctly it works as
    follows:

    The offset values are retrieved from the scanner using the inquiry command.
    Then every scanned line is stored in a ring buffer (with r, g and b value).
    Once there are enough lines in the ring buffer to synchronize r, g and b the
    lines can be read out again.

    There are some comments in the code that suggest that there is a RGBRouter
    somewhere that should replace the old sync routines but I haven't found any
    implementation for it.

    Another problem is that the inquiry command says that all offsets are 0 for my
    scanner...

    Oliver