Re: problems with Canon scanner

From: abel deuring (a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 01:59:09 PDT

    Douglas Gilbert wrote:

    > Since (and including) lk 2.2.10 it has been possible for the
    > Canon backend to override the SCSI command length as noted
    > above. The SG_GET_VERSION_NUM ioctl() can be used to find the
    > sg version number. So it is possible for the Canon backend
    > to use these and save the end user from striking these type
    > of problems in recent distributions.
    >
    > So the bug was fixed 9 months ago. IMHO the Canon backend
    > should have picked this up by now.

    Douglas,

    it is not only a problem of or for the Canon backend, it is also a
    problem of the sanei_scsi-library. With the functions sanei_scsi_cmd and
    sanei_scsi_req_enter, it is not possible to explicitly set the command
    length.

    What would be needed, is either a modified version of these functions
    which has the SCSI command length as an additional parameter, or -
    similar to the way the SG driver works - an additional function that
    sets the length of the next command.

    For compatibility, I would prefer the latter, something like
    sanei_scsi_set_cmd_len(int fd, int len). This should fix the problems of
    the Canon backend for Linux, but I don't know, if or how this can be
    handled for the other operating systems supported by Sane.

    Abel