Re: ? about gimp

From: Kurt Savegnago (ksaves2@theramp.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 15:45:17 PDT

    Jay Hill wrote:

    > Pamela Akazawa wrote:
    > >
    > > I now have my scanner connected and working with xscanimage. Is there a
    > > way to aquire an image from within Gimp?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Pam
    > >
    > > --
    >
    > This was posted here a few weeks ago:
    >
    > You should compile xsane with the gimp version you use.
    > - uninstall/remove gimp-1.1.19 and xsane
    > - remove ~/.gimp-1.1
    > - install gimp-1.1.14
    > - call ldconfig (as root)
    > - xsane:
    > make distclean
    > ./configure
    > make
    > make install
    > set new ling for xsane to gimp plugin-direcory
    >
    > Bye
    > Oliver

    Hi,

       I have xsane working with 1.1.19 and also have 1.0.4
    on the same machine. It turned out that way because
    I already had 1.0.4 loaded in with my Slack 7.0 distro and
    I could use either version of GIMP with no problem. Please
    note: I could use either version alone WITHOUT xsane.
    I was not trying to scan with either GIMP version.
    To get 1.1.19 (not 1.0.4) to work with xsane I did the
    following:

       I found if I moved all the 1.0.4 libraries in
    /usr/lib to a temporary directory I could get Xsane to
    build. I only moved the files that had a name like
    libgimp 1.0.4 and such. There are about ten of those in
    /usr/local. Of course one must have already had a
    successful install of sane-1.0.2 but xsane .57, .58 and
    .59 all built O.K. for me. I then created a newuser as
    I usually run as root and setup the GIMP 1.1.19 under
    this user to avoid the root issues.

       I had more trouble figuring out the device permissions
    for my H-P 6300C scsi scanner. Find-scanner when root
    run said it was at /dev/sgc and /dev/sg3. When run as
    a user it gave me the root disclaimer and said it was
    at /dev/sg2. To make long story short xsane didn't work
    properly until I did the link to /dev/scanner with /dev/sgc
    and did a chmod 777 /dev/sgc. I did the usual link to the
    ~/gimp-1.1/plug-ins directory and 1.1.19 works with xsane.

       Please note that I put the libgimp 1.0.4 files back
    into the /usr/lib and I can run GIMP 1.0.4 ALONE. I went
    ahead and tried to do a link to xsane and as expected
    it wouldn't work. The reason is that when built, xsane
    used the 1.1.19 libraries so I think one can get either
    one to work this way but I do not have the skills to
    figure out how to be able to link both GIMPS at the same time
    nor do I desire to.

      I basically did this out of necessity as I didn't want
    to go foraging through the files to try to unload one
    of my preexisting GIMPS. As it turned out, I got sick
    and tired of getting low on disk space so I swapped out
    my 4.3gb Cheetah drive and got an 18.2gb 7200rpm fujitsu
    drive from www.compgeeks.com for $249.00! I spent $800.00
    3 years ago for the Cheetah drive. Now I had to do
    a clean install but I eliminated alot of useless files
    cluttering up the system.

                                    Best regards,
                                    Kurt Savegnago
                                    ksaves2@theramp.net