Re: CanoScan 300 and sane-1.0.{1,2}

From: Robin Kirkham (robin.kirkham@cmst.csiro.au)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 21:05:39 PDT

    I was having difficulty with a CanoScan 300 and sane-1.0.{1,2} (original
    message appended). Someone in Germany (I think) mailed me wanting to know
    the solution (if I found one) since they seemed to have the same problem
    with a CanoScan 600, but I didn't keep the message and the mailing list
    archive doesn't have a link for April yet.

    Anyway, it's working now with 1.0.2 ...

    I had to apply a patch to the sg.c device driver in the Linux kernel and
    rebuild it. The patch is on the web site for the SANE Canon driver, and
    relates to the size of SCSI command structures. [Has this patch been
    submitted for more recent Linux kernels?]

    I also cleared out all the drivers from dll.conf *except* canon. It was
    taking scanimage/xscanimage about 30 seconds to try out all the drivers
    (including the serial digital cameras) before it did anything, so it looked
    like it was hung when it wasn't.

    My CanoScan 300 is now working well -- thanks everyone!

    Robin Kirkham CSIRO Manufacturing Science and Technology
    Project Engineer Locked Bag 9, Preston 3072, Australia
    robin.kirkham@cmst.csiro.au Phone: +61 3 9662-7756 Fax: +61 3 9662-7853