Re: how does a scanner work?

From: Levente NOVAK (novak@jaguar.dote.hu)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 03:44:33 PDT

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, [iso-8859-1] nicolas herry wrote:

    > Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:59:14 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "[iso-8859-1] nicolas herry" <nicolasherry@yahoo.co.uk>
    > To: sane-devel@mostang.com
    > Subject: how does a scanner work?
    >
    > Hello!
    > As I plan to write a driver for a Microtek Phantom
    > 330CX (// Port), I'm looking for some info about the
    > way a scanner work :
    > what sequences is expected, how data is transferred,
    > and so on.
    > Is there any standard protocol?
    > Thanks in advance!

    I cannot really help you, but it may be useful to know that there exists a
    backend in SANE supporting Microtek scanners (to be more precise, there
    are even two of them, one for SCSI 1 and another for SCSI 2 protocol
    scanners). Normally, the microtek2 backend should drive the Phantom 336CX
    as well as similar models, but as I know, there is however a problem with
    the scanhead hitting the bottom of the frame for Phantom 336CX.
    Unfortunately, Bernd Schroeder who is (or has been) the maintainer of
    this backend seems to have disappeared. It may be easier for you to take a
    look at microtek2.c and microtek2.h in the SANE distrib, or you can try to
    reach Bernd. Maybe you can take over the microtek2 backend if he does not
    have enough time to work on.

    Levente