Re: Microtek Scanmaker 630 S

From: Jay Hill (jshill@jump.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 16:12:36 PDT

    Marcel Pol wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought today a Microtek Scanmaker 630 with an Adaptec 1502 SCSI card.
    > My first impression is that it works great with Sane.
    >
    > There is one problem though, the SCSI card doesn't work fine for me.
    > I'm using it as a parport scanner at the moment. That's fine, but I would like
    > to try it with the SCSI card.
    >
    > The first time I used it was with a microtek2.conf out of the box.
    > My scanner made an enormous beep while scanning and some other noises.
    >
    > The second time I just got the error:
    > Couldn't start Scanner; i/o error
    >
    > The default interrupt for this card would be no. 10. But my soundcard is
    > already there, so I set the jumper of the scsi card to irq 9.
    > I once heard that irq 9 has someting to do with irq 2, so I hope that's not a
    > problem. I load the module for the card with this command:
    > modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x140,9,7,1
    >
    > And then I get this (seems ok):
    > kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
    > kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7,
    > reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended
    > translation=disabled
    > kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
    > kernel: scsi1 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
    > kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.
    > kernel: Vendor: Model: Scanner 600A4 Rev: 2.21
    > kernel: Type: Scanner ANSI
    > SCSI revision: 02
    > kernel: Detected scsi generic sgc at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
    >
    > I wonder if I can use irq 9. Irq 12 seems free, maybe I should use that.
    >
    > Also, would it matter, the scsi card looks really cheap, is it worth it, or
    > would it just be as good as using it as a parport scanner?
    >
    > Thanks for the direction,
    >
    > ----------------
    Marcel, I've also been getting IO errors with my Microtek scanner. My
    model is the ScanMaker V6usl. I haven't tried the setting on my scsi
    card, because it works fine from the NT partition of my hard drive.

    Here's the message I sent to this list last week, but I haven't gotten
    any response to it:

    This is on Red Hat 6.1, with SANE installed, I think. I start
    xscanimage, and the xscanimage application opens. xscanimage also
    prints info to the terminal window, and there it says it recognizes the
    make & model of the scanner (Mikrotek ScanMaker V6USL). I haven't made
    any changes to any SANE or xscanimage configuration files. When I try
    and actually "Acquire Preview" or "Scan," it says there is an error,
    that it "Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O." The info in
    the terminal window says:

    " 0: f00005ffffffe91f 0000000024000000 ........ ....$...
        16: 2a00030000610060 0000000001000200 *....a.` ........
        32: 030004000500 ......
    "

    The scanner & SCSI card work on the NT partition of this disk, so I
    assume the card is okay. Do I need to make a change in one of the SANE
    files or the xscanimage files? I've poked around a bit in some of them,
    but I haven't seen anything obvious.