Re: scanimage -L crashes SuSE 6.4

From: abel deuring (a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 07:31:11 PDT

    Douglas,

    > Abel,
    > I forwarded the this post onto Juergen Fischer. Unfortunately
    > I'm probably getting a bit confused between the aha152x
    > [which is mainatined by Juergen] and the aha1542 [Eric
    > Youngdale?].
    >
    > Anyway, which kernel version are you testing? Where does that
    > "--enable-scsibuffersize=32768" go (is it backend specific)?

    I'm using 2.2.13 as distributed by Suse with their Linux 6.3 package.
    But the crash also occurs with a 2.2.14 kernel.

    "--enable-scsibuffersize" is used within sanei_scsi.c, so that it
    applies to most backends for SCSI scanners. The exceptions are the Umax
    and the Sharp backends, which use a new call to select the SCSI buffer
    size during program runtime (sanei_scsi_open_extended instead of the old
    sanei_scsi_open). I introduced "--enable-scsibuffersize" so that one can
    change the default buffer size at installation time. Practically, it is
    a kind of replacement for the old SG_BIG_BUFF: The Sane SCSI library has
    an internal static variable sanei_scsi_max_request_size, which was
    initialized to SG_BIG_BUFF. Since this constant does not make much sense
    with the new SG driver, I replaced it with the configure option; you can
    also set the environment variable SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE to change the
    maximum buffer size. (Sorry, forgot to mention the latter option in my
    last mail.)

    > I have a aha1542b, a UMAX 1220S and sane 1.0.2 installed.

    The Umax backend is not the most trivial piece of software; while it
    tries to allocate a SCSI buffer of 128 kB when opening the SG file, I
    could not figure out, how much data is actually transferred with a
    single SCSI command. (Oliver, can you give a hint??)

    Abel