Success: Acer ScanPrisa 620UT

From: Oliver Schwartz (Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:03:47 PDT

    Hello world,

    I can report successful scanning on an Acer ScanPrisa 620UT (UT indicates that
    it is a ScanPrisa 620U with an additional Transparency Option (TPO)).

    I'm using the instructions on http://utopia.knoware.nl/~joey/linux/acerscan.htm
    with some small modifications:
    - USB product ID is 0x2040 (so "modprobe scanner vendor=0x4a5 product=0x2040"
       will do the trick)
    - The firmware file is named u64v115.bin (Version 1.15, 16 Sept. 1999)
    - The scanner Model string is "FlatbedScanner16"

    All tested on Suse 6.2, Kernel 2.2.14 with backported USB support
    (http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/), Sane 1.0.1, Asus TX97E

    Apart from some minor glitches everything seems to work fine. One bug I
    recognized is that interrupting a scan or a preview in xsane may often result
    in complete hanging of the USB

    What does not work is the transparency option - too bad, I'd really like to use
    it in gimp. So probably I have to add support for it myself, but before I start
    I'd like to know if anybody in one of the driver teams (particularly in the
    snapscan driver team) is working on something similar? If so, please let me
    know.

    Oliver