Re: sane 1.0.2 - strangeness

From: Pierre Fortin (pfortin@SkyBest.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 10:53:02 PST

    Oliver Rauch wrote:

    > Pierre Fortin wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > The other day, I used my UMAX 2400S scanner to make some copies using
    > > the "xerox" script.
    > >
    > > Today, I wanted to copy some papers; but when I issued the command, I
    > > could only get:
    > >
    > > $ xerox
    > > scanimage: open of device umax:/dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument
    > > pnmtops: EOF / read error reading magic number
    > > lpr: stdin: empty input file
    > >

    > > Then, to have a quick look at the bus, I ran xcdroast, clicked on
    > > SCSI/IDE-Info, exited and the scanner now works again...
    > >
    > > Huh..?? Looks like xcdroast is able to return the bus to a known state
    > > while sane does not...
    >
    > If the sg driver is not loaded when you call scanimage the device sometimes is not found.
    > Try xerox again, may be that helps.

    I should have stated that the driver was likely still loaded as I simply
    used "uparrow" to recall the previous command which was still onscreen
    and in the history buffer... I tried this a couple of times with no
    luck. Then, I power-cycled the scanner and tried again, then thinking
    "Nuts!", I got the idea to load xcdroast to check the status of the SCSI
    bus/devices. When I retried the command, it now worked...

    I posted this to point out that there may be a recovery glitch in the
    code on certain errors or conditions.

    BTW, both LEDs on the scanner were off during the first try (before the
    power-cycling).

    HTH,
    Pierre