Re: which umax scanner (or other)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 12:27:16 PST

    Steve Sheriff wrote:

    > Are the Umax cards so bad that they are not workable? (a separate Adaptec card
    > is ridiculously expensive over here. I may be able to mail order *that* item but
    > shipping a Umax scanner is another matter I feel)

    Hi Steve,

    the ISA card that comes with the umax scanners (UDS-IS11) is a DTC3181E-card based on the NCR5380-chip. It works a bit but is a very simple card. Especally if a lot of data has to be transfered
    it really is not nice to scan with such a card.

    In the last time the umax scanners are deliever with a PCI card that - as far as I know - are not
    supported.

    May be you are able to get a ncr/symbios logic/LSI "ncr53c810" scsi card, it is relative cheap
    and in my opionion a good card.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --