RE: Umax scanners impossible to get

From: S.P.Sheriff (fsanta@arrakis.es)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 10:00:25 PST

    > I have a 2200, and had a 1200, and both work great in Linux !!! I use
    them
    > with my cheap adaptec scsi card !! The 2200 has a built in transparency
    > adapter, (the 1200 needs an extra part which is hard to find). Get the
    Xsane
    > and sane-umax driver and you can use it in the GIMP with good results.

    Hi Peter, Hi everybody.

    Thanks for the continued advice. I have decided upon a Umax 2200 which is a
    current model except that Umax here in Spain is virtually non existent.
    There is a dealer in Barcelona but my dealer here in Madrid can't contact
    them. Neither can I. As far as I have been told by dealers here in Spain,
    Umax will not work with Linux since their driver is at least one month away
    from completion (sic and at the same time very interesting news). If I
    mention SANE they look blank and try to sell me an Agfa USB from a food
    supermarket. E-mail to Umax Germany and UK so far have brought a zero
    response. Has anyone ever tried mail order for a scanner? I should have
    thought it impossible due to the delicacy of the scanners.

    Any help for a mail order outlet for a 2200 that can supply the goods
    (maybe even a Adaptec card to go with it?) greatly appreciated.

    Steve & Clara at FeF, Spain.