ldconfig screws up my installation

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 01:18:29 PST

    Is this something that happens only on my system, or do
    others have the same problem?

    Whenever I run ldconfig I end up with a link in /usr/lib/sane
    from libsane.so.1 to libsane-umax.so.1.0.1. This causes all
    SANE frontends to use only the UMAX backend.

    First I thought that this would happen everytime I installed
    SANE with a "make install", but I now tracked it down to
    ldconfig.

    Any thoughts?

    Karl Heinz