Re: Questions about include/sane files

From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 03:02:39 PST

    Hi !

    > sanei_codec_bin.h and sanei_codec_ascii.h say they are part oft the SANE
    > API. Is this correct?

    They are part of the SANE net protocol and define two possible encodings for
    the RPC stream.

    > saneopt.h looks like this:
    > [...]
    > #define SANE_NAME_SCAN_RESOLUTION "resolution"
    > #define SANE_NAME_SCAN_X_RESOLUTION "resolution"
    > #define SANE_NAME_SCAN_Y_RESOLUTION "y-resolution"
    > [...]
    > Shouldn't this be "x-resolution" for the second line?

    No. The idea is to have "resolution" as a standard option in both devices that
    can control both values and devices that can only control one of them.

    This is handy for scripting and similar stuff. IMHO a backend for devices that
    can control both, should keep both in sync until there is a write access to
    y-resolution. This gives expected behaviour for scripts.

    > A license question. If I understood correctly, the SANE API is public domain
    > (sane.h + sane_net.h), the rest should be GPL (+exception for linking).

    That is the idea. The standard itself should be open, so that commercial
    drivers are possible, but commercial drivers shouldn't just be done by
    ripping our sources.

    > Looking at the header files in include/sane some have the GPL (+exception)
    > note, some have a pure GPL and some don't mention any sort of license. Is
    > this done intensionally or shouldn't all but the API files files have the
    > GPL (+exception) License?

    Hmm - actually there isn't much point in licensing headers (which is close to
    patenting the wheel IMHO), but to be sure one should at least hint at the
    appropriate licensing there.

    CU, ANdy

    --
    Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>