Re: sane: UMAX Astra 2200 SCSI problems

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 13:36:18 PST

    "Kenneth E. Harker" wrote:

    > This will be the first thing I check.
    > There aren't any jumpers that are labelled "termination on/off" or anything.
    > In fact, I had to jumper the BIOS address as "disabled" in order to get
    > the machine to boot with the card in it - I think it was trying to use the
    > same address space as the IDE controller. When I got the card, I think it
    > had been used with a boot disk and floppy drive. I'll research this some more.
    >
    > Would there be an easy way to put an out-board terminator onto that connector?

    You can buy one, but you need a cable (at least 20 cm I think) between controller
    and terminator. It is better if the termination is done on the controller!

    > > In the moment: pull the power connector to turn off the scanner.
    >
    > OK - I was wondering about that. Won't that cause problems with the SCSI
    > bus?

    You have to tell the scsi driver at first to remove the device,
    take a look at the scsi programming howto, search for "remove-single-device".

    > > It also may be a problem of the scsi driver of your scsi cards.
    > > Lots of 1.x.x kernels had buggy scsi drivers. The 2.2.x kernel should be ok
    > > for the most scsi cards, so the 2.3.x also should be ok. But when the scsi card is a
    > > new product the driver may also be new and buggy.
    >
    > In this case, the Ultrastor 14F card and driver have both been around since
    > about 1994, so I think it's a reasonbaly robust driver.

    Don`t know. I never heard about the driver in conjunction with SANE.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch