Re: xsane as root

From: root (j-m.eoff@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 16:40:06 PST

    Oliver:

    A thought on the "xsane as root" business: If you are going to try and
    restrict people's use of "root" for xsane because it is too dangerous,
    then don't you think you should try to convince everyone who writes
    software for Linux to follow the same philosophy? Think about such
    things as file managers and tell me that they aren't more dangerous than
    a (potentially) defective scanner program. If you are concerned about
    someone giving you are hard time over some lost files, then I suggest
    you consider a couple of facts: 1. every one who uses xsane at this
    stage is aware of the fact that it still in development and 2. How can
    you be held responsible the side effects of a program that you are
    giving away for free? I personally see more danger in such commands as
    rm than in xsane. I truly don't think that you can convince the whole
    Linux community to adopt your idea. Do you really want to be the odd
    one out and try to force people around to your unconventional idea? I
    am currently doing EVERYTHING on my system as root. This is for the
    simple reason that I am new to Linux and have some odd hardware in my
    system. Until (and if) all the hardware works and I know that I can use
    Linux for all my computing needs, I see no need to dive into the
    intricacies of user administration. The last thing I need at this stage
    is doubts about whether or not I really have the system priveleges I
    need. Question: How do I tell the difference between something not
    working because I haven't the right permissions and not working because
    of a driver or installation problem? Answer: As a novice, only with
    great difficulty. When I know that my hardware is running and I have no
    doubts, then I can start setting up user accounts and fighting
    permissions and priveleges. I know that running as root has its dangers
    - but please also consider that I have spent YEARS using MS-DOS based
    systems that had absolutely NO security features at all and so am used
    to being careful with the commands I give and, yes, even recovering when
    I do make a mistake. I would therefore thank you very kindly to refrain
    from any user ID shenanigans ("spielereien" für Deutsch sprechende
    leute.)

    Respectfully,

    Joseph R. Eoff
    Enthusiastic new Linux user