Re: xsane as root

From: Bruce Burden (brucegb@realtime.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 16:32:38 PST

            I have to wonder at the effort spent discussing "xsane as root".
       I think everybody is overlooking the point - UNIX will cheerfully
       allow you to hang yourself any number of ways.

            Is is not likely that people who use SANE fall into two camps;
       A camp of experienced UNIX users, who are fully aware of the inherent
       dangers of being "root", and are fully willing to take those risks,
       And a camp of people who are not aware of the dangers, but have no
       business or access to the root UID?

            Okay, I guess there is a third group, given the growing popularity
       of Linux, who fit both groups, because they are both using Linux
       and responsible for the administration of the machine. However, all
       of us in the "experienced" camp were once in this predictament at some
       point, so I fail to see the significance or distinction.

            I would remind folks that the philosophy of Windoze is to place
       roadblocks in the path because, well, "people_who_use_Windoze_are_dumb,
       and_we,_MicroSoft,_know_what_is_best_for_them" is the operational
       philosophy. I run UNIX because I can't stand being tethered to that
       pholosophy, and I don't wish to see it creeping into UNIX software,
       no matter how well intentioned.

            If you really want to "do something", then follow the UNIX model
       (which is to give us a choice) and create an /etc/saneusers file,
       which includes a list of "prohibited" UIDs. This will both protect
       the "inexperienced, but learning" newbie and not unduly burden the
       "experienced, and aware of the dangers" user/admin at the same time.
       And, hopefully, everybody can declare victory, and go home happy.

                                                            Bruce