Re: xsane as root

From: John Anthony Kazos Jr. (jkazos@vt.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 16:02:39 PST

    Certainly. Because I am the only user of my system (besides my friends logging
    in to share files or to talk), so there's really no reason to not be root.
    Everyone who talks to me spouts the old chestnut that you can really screw up
    your system if you're root, but no one ever tells me how. Sure, I could type
    'rm -rf /*' and my system would merrily go to hell, but really, if I'm stupid
    enough to type that, why am I using Linux? It would be infuriating to have to
    su every time I wanted to do anything interesting besides using a program.

    If you can show me one good case where being the superuser will prevent *any*
    disaster (major or minor) not due to stupidity, I will cease the practice
    immediately.

    Though I won't hold my breath.