Re: Report on last CVS snapshot

From: Peter Hackenberg (phackenberg@aip.de)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 00:10:01 PST

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Oliver Rauch wrote:

    > Mentore Siesto wrote:
    >
    > > BTW, as root I can't find the xsane binaries once built and installed...
    > > I will learn how to modify the path. :-)
    >
    > Do not run xsane as root!
    > Better set the permissions of the scanner device file.
    >
    > Bye
    > Oliver

    Be careful with this, because the SCSI devices are assigned to
    /dev/sg* at boot time. If some of your SCSI devices are switched off
    at boot time, your scanner device file (e.g. /dev/sg2) may then
    be pointing to your hard disk.

    Don't give world access rights to any of the /dev/sg* files!

    My /dev/sg* belong to the group "disk", which has full access rights to
    these files. And xsane and all other programs which must have access to
    /dev/sg* are setgid disk.

    Peter