HP ScanJet 3C problems

From: David Cantrell (david@slackware.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 23:15:26 PST

    I recently purchased an HP ScanJet 3C. The specs looked nice and the price
    wasn't bad at all. However, I have not been able to get SANE to work with it.
    I have tried both the 1.0.1 release and the latest devel snapshot (dated
    21feb2000 I think). Both releases send commands to the scanner, but it
    eventually fails with the message "Device I/O Error". I looked at the
    dmesg output and saw this:

    Detected scsi generic sgd at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
    (scsi0:0:4:-1) Unexpected busfree, LASTPHASE = 0x40, SEQADDR = 0x110

    I have an Adaptec AIC-7880 controller, it comes onboard with the Intel
    Providence motherboard (PR440FX). There are 5 devices on the chain. If
    anyone has any suggestions as to why it's failing like this, do tell. After
    trying several consecutive times to preview an image, the system will just
    lock and I have to manually reboot.

       David Cantrell | david@slackware.com