Re: make backend work on usb

From: John Gay (John_Gay@eur.3com.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 09:10:00 PST

    I've been following both the USB and the sane list since I bought an AGFA
    snapscan USB scanner. After much testing and fighting, and despite loads of help
    from both groups, I eventually flogged this scanner for a SCSI one. However, I
    do know that there has been success in this area. Namely, David Nelson was able
    to get a few HP USB scanners to work. The solution is two-fold. First, you have
    to get the scanner talking to your PC over the USB port. This is the job of the
    USB driver. This will give you a /dev/usbscanner. Next, you need to get sane to
    talk to your scanner via /dev/usbscanner.

    David Nelson has got some HP scanners talking via usb, and with a little
    modification of his code, I had my AGFA talking as well. David was quite helpful
    with this, considering that I'm am not a programmer, he showed me exactly where
    to modify the code and exactly what to change to get it talking. Once you get
    your scanner talking over USB, then you need to work with the sane side.

    Sane side: Now that your scanner is talking over USB, it may not be talking
    SCSI. If you are lucky, as David was with HP, the scanner may use the same
    protocol. Otherwise, you will need to find out what protocol the scanner uses
    over USB. The HP's did use SCSI over the USB port, but, sadly, my AGFA scanner
    didn't. This was why I eventually sold it to my niece, who is using Windows98.

    This will be a major undertaking on your part to get this working. Lots of
    people on both lists will be quite helpful, but you can expect to do quite a bit
    of work, with assistance. IF you can get it working, you can feel quite good in
    yourself for making such a major contribution to Linux. USB and scanners are
    areas that need lots of work. If not, be more careful when buying hardware. I
    know, I've made many mistakes buying hardware only to find that the support
    wasn't there. I am now much more careful to check what is and isn't supported
    before I buy now. I've had to replace a modem, a printer and a scanner. And I've
    gotten loads of grief from the wife each time.

    Good luck with your scanner and I hope you can get it working. Linux need as
    much hardware support as possible. Especially USB.

    Cheers,

         John Gay