Possible odd coincidence? (was Re: Problem compiling sane-1.0.1 frontend...)

From: David Lindgren (dave@thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 08:54:11 PST

    I have some more info...

    David Lindgren (dave@thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk) wrote:
    > I'm getting an odd error compiling sane 1.0.1
    >
    > The make is happy until it gets to trying to compile xscanimage.
    >
    > The error looks like this:
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/store/dave/sane-1.0.1/backend'
    > making all in frontend
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/store/dave/sane-1.0.1/frontend'
    > gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/local/share -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0 -g -O2 -Wall xscanimage.c
    > xscanimage.c:79: conflicting types for `GIMP_EXTENSION'
    > /usr/local/include/libgimp/gimpenums.h:289: previous declaration of `GIMP_EXTENSION'
    > make[1]: *** [xscanimage.o] Error 1
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/store/dave/sane-1.0.1/frontend'
    > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

    Okay, well this could just be a programmers freak with the GIMP
    developers and the SANE developers happening to use the same constant
    name...

    In my version of gimpenums.h (which came from gimp 1.1.15) there
    appears to be a constant:

    GIMP_EXTENSION
    (which appears to have been allocated the value 2)

    In an older version of gimpenums.h, this appears to have the name:

    PROC_EXTENSION
    (which also appears to have been allocate the value 2)

    Now, if the xscanimage developers are using a GIMP_EXTENSION constant
    (which they do in xscanimage.c) that is not supposed to be the same as
    GIMP_EXTENSION in gimpenums.h, then I can see a problem. If the
    xscanimage developers are still expecting the gimp developers to be
    using PROC_EXTENSION, I fully understand the problem

    FWIW, GIMP_EXTENSION seems to be allocated the value 1 in xscanimage.c

    Is there anyone reading this mailing list who has somewhat more
    experience of the source than I do and who can tell me the way that
    these two constants should or shouldn't be interacting. I would
    rather not have to work through all the xscanimage source to see
    exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

    Many thanks for any help you can provide.

    Dave

    --
    email: dave@kites.org.uk