Re: Epson 1200S: "[epson] ident failed"

From: John Vickers (jvickers@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 01:36:05 PST

    Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

    > On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 09:43:39AM +0000, John Vickers wrote:
    > > If I then do:
    > > /usr/local/bin/scanimage -v --device epson:/dev/scanner -T
    > > that also PASSes (scanner whirrs, etc), but only the first time I try it.
    >
    > ... that's a known problem. You can only do this once and then you have to
    > reset the scanner. I don't have an idea yet why, but this is on my list
    > of things to work out. It's no real problem, because it only happens
    > when you use the -T switch, the "normal" scanning works just fine (at
    > least for me).

    OK, that's what I get too. I'm now running Sunday's snapshot,
    with the 0.1.6b Epson backend. I wouldn't say I'd thoroughly tested
    it, but scanning seems to work fine so far.

    So the situation with Epson scanners is: scanning works fine,
    but the self-test is quite broken ? ;-)

    I had a brief poke arround with gdb, and the "initialise"
    command is failing, before the failure of the "identify"
    command which causes the error message. The status of the initialise
    command doesn't seem to get checked. Later on, the failures
    don't get tested for, the driver assumes scanner is initialised,
    and dereferences some garbage pointer somewhere.

    I might try investigating what state '-T' leaves the scanner in,
    since '-T' does work the first time it's tried.

    Where did you get to with this ?

    > > Epson's internal termination disabled; Sun active terminator
    > > installed in Epson.
    >
    > Any reason why you are not using the internal termination?

    No very compelling ones (I did switch off the internal termination) :
    - The Epson didn't state that the internal switchable termination
      was active, so I assumed it wasn't.
    - If I didn't put the terminator in the Epson, it would have gone
      in a large box of assorted connectors and cables. This way,
      I know where to find it...

    Real SCSI connectors, internal switchable termination, and a PCI SCSI
    card that supports other devices and isn't completely crap were
    some of the reasons I got an Epson scanner.

    BTW, Is anyone planning to update the Epson backend in the snapshots
    to 0.1.7 ?

    Regards,

    John.