Re: Imaging type applications for Linux/Unix

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 11:07:18 PST

    awilliam@whitemice.org wrote:
    > jonathan@buzzard.org.uk said:
    > > I was wondering now that I have got my new HP 5200C working under
    > > Linux, if there are any applications similar to Imaging under
    > > Windows. By this I mean scan a document into a multi page tiff
    > > file, with the ability to view and print.
    >
    > xsane, the GUI front end to SANE. It allows you to copy, fax, scan,
    > etc.. Very flexible.

    Did you read the post or are you trying to be clever? Neither xsane
    or xscanimage have the same functionality as Imaging does under
    Windows 95.

    Imaging allows you to save a document in a multi-page tiff file.
    View it in the same way as Acrobat or xpdf lets you view a .pdf
    file and print it out. Typically I find that a 10 page document
    scanned in lineart at 300dpi is about 500KB.

    Think of it as a system for archiving paper based documents onto
    a computer. The question was/still is, is their a Linux/Unix
    program witl equivalent functionality.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195