Re: Mustek ScanExpress 1200 CP

From: Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin (d_odonnabhain@vistech.ie)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 06:33:47 PST

    Juergen Giersch wrote:
    > i want to write a SANE Backend for the Mustek Scan Express 1200 CP.
    > Jeff's code is a very great help for that job, but some Parallel Codes
    > dont match to my scanner (e. g. the code for blue lamp is different). So
    > i need the Controlling Codes. One possibility is to disassamble the
    > windows driver.
    > I would be pleased if you can give me some hints of doeing that.
    >
    > * What tools do you used?
    > * What experience have you made?
      Hi Juergen,
    I found the IDA [1] disassembler useful when I was reverse engineering
     the windows 95 scanner driver for the Mustek ScanExpress 12000P. There
     is a free version [2] (for DOS - I haven't tried it with DOSEMU) which
     includes most of the features of the commercial version. It's an
    interactive disassembler, which means that you can add comments, change
    variable names, change code to data etc. and the changes are propagated
     throughout the disassembled code.
    > * Do you have any experience with parallel port monitoring while
    > scanning with windows?
      I haven't found much usefule information on caturing I/O from a
     windows 95 VXD. Portmon (http://www.sysinternals.com) should
    work with NT drivers but it just crashes NT with the NT
    driver for my scanner.
      I'm thinking of writing a perl script to extract some morre useful
    information from the disassembled driver. Another
    strategy I might try is to Start scanning in Windows 95, interrupt the
     scan and examine the contents of the scanner registers. In the meantime
    I'll write some test code which can be run to dump the contents of the
     scanner registers and I'll try to collect this information from
    different users.

       Donnchadh

    [1] IDA http://www.datarescue.com/ida.htm
    [2] Free version of IDA
      ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/msdos/disasm/ida37fw.zip

    --

    // Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin mailto:d_odonnabhain@vistech.ie // Vistech Software http://www.vistechsoftware.com // Inchvale House, Douglas West, Cork, Ireland // Ph. +353-21-918166 Fax +353-21-896142