Update: Linux USB and Scanners

From: David Nelson (dnelson@jump.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 20:31:18 PST

    Hi all,

    I just wanted to update you all on the status of Linux USB since I get
    (and answer) most of the USB scanner related questions that cross the
    linux-usb list.

    I've just released version 0.3.4 of my driver. Hopefully it'll find
    itself in the Linux kernel version 2.3.41 (or shortly thereafter). The
    type of questions I generally get are 'Is Scanner XXX supported?'. To
    which I generally reply that yes it's supported by the driver. However,
    the driver is only providing the communications. If it isnt' supported, I
    ask for some info so that I can put it into the driver. It's apps (or
    backends in SANE's case) that need to do the work.

    At this time, most USB HP scanners are working with the SANE HP backend
    w/o any modifications. The HP6300C requires that HP backend version 0.83
    be installed/compiled (if I remember correctly). While I've been reading
    that most manufactures aren't very cooperative in giving specs out, I
    don't think it hurts to experiment a little by commnunicating with USB
    scanners using known command strings. USB communications are generally
    very easy (or course I'm only basing this on my experience with the HP
    scanners). Read the scanner.txt and scanner-hp-sane.txt Documentation
    from the latest dev kernels to see how easy it is. I'm in contact with a
    fellow that is doing some prelim stuff in perl in order to communicate
    across USB using the scanner driver (ins't perl just great! ;). I'm
    hoping that some of the developers or future developeres or want-to-be
    developers will at least experiment now that this is available.

    Thanks,
            /\/elson

    --
    David /\/elson
    http://www.jump.net/~dnelson

      "Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."
                                             -- The 7 Habits Book