Re: re-aligning? re-calibrating? an hp scanjet IIc

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 11:40:48 PST

    Hello Carlos,

    I also suppose it is a hardware problem which can not be fixed by
    software. The HP ScanJet IIc does not support a calibrate command. But
    if it is really a hardware problem, it would not help either.
    The sample images look like the carriage is not moving continuosly.
    Please have a look at the carriage while it is scanning. If it is
    jumping, cleaning the parts which fix the carriage may help. Maybe the
    mirror on the carriage must be fixed too.

    --Peter

    Carlos Puchol wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > i am running out of sources here. since there are experts
    > here, i am going to throw this up and would appreciate any
    > help andor pointers.
    >
    > i am running sane 1.0.1 with xsane (nice! btw) and gimp:
    >
    > Vendor: HP Model: C1750A Rev: 3226
    >
    > this scanner was running fine and now, after some moving and
    > some period of rest in storage, it displays a "phantom" image
    > slightly shifted from the original.
    >
    > just to double check, went to windows and it happens
    > there too, so i suspect it is a hardware problem
    > regarding some sort of alignment or calibration.
    > attached i am sending two small samples to illistrate.
    > basically, strong color edges "bleed"
    >
    > i played around a bit with gamma, and there are some
    > settings that minimize this, but the image always sows
    > some lack of "depth" - a contrast autostretch and/or hsv
    > autostrectch always brings the bleeding back.
    >
    > is this problem fixable in software?
    > under linux?
    > is it fixable at all?

    <snip>