RE: opening the mustek SE12000P: is says a4s2 all over!

From: marcel pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 16:23:06 PST

On 03-Jan-00 Paulo Abreu wrote:
> Ok, I've just opened the mustek SE12000P and this is what's inside:
> * the ccd board is called 'A4SII CCD BOARD'
> * the other board (the one where the ports are connected to, and the motor,
> and the ccd board) is called 'EMI-A4SII-600-EPP-12B-WM Main Board Rev. G'
> It has a big chip called 'Mustek MA 1505'
>
> Ok, does this mean anything to anyone? Specially, does this mean anything
> to does that developed the Mustek driver and the musteka4s2 driver?
>
> I've patched a bit the musteka4s2 driver: the ASIC_ID of the SE12000P is
> 0xA2. I've tried to pretend it is ASIC_ID_1013 and 1015, but nothing much
> happened: the light went on and didn't go off but did nothing else.
>
> Help, anyone? What can be the difference between this and those scanners
> supported by the musteka4s2? I really whish it could be possible to merge
> the mustek (which works with the se12000sc) and the musteka4s2 (which works
> with parallel port sacnners) drivers...
>
> Paulo

I hope you know that there are two things that need to be supported; the
scanner itself, with the SANE backend, and the connection with the scanner.
If it is to a SCSI card then the scsi chipset needs to be supported. If
it is a parport scanner then that needs support.

In my case I own a microtek Pagewiz which is now supported by a modified
backend. It's connected to the parport and uses an OnSpec 90c26 chip. I opened
my scanner but didn't find that chipset, so I guess this chip is built in the
interface cable. With the ppscsi patch I got this chip supported. Microtek says
about my scanner that the interface cable, or parallel port host adapter needs
to be supported, if not then the scanner cannot be used. I guess this counts
for all scanners.

I do not know anything about your scanner. If it is a type which is also being
sold with a scsi interface, then it might use a scsi protocol. So then it
should work with the SANE backend (I assume).

If you own a parport scanner and it is connected in the way mine is connected,
the really the best way to find out which chip your adapter uses is to look at
the Windows drivers. If you have Windows installed, then the driver will say
somethging about the chip being used. You should check it with the
documentation at www.torque.net/parport/ppscsi.html if it is supported.

If the Windows driver doesn't say anything about a chip, or you don't have
windows installed, the read the documentation you got with the scanner, try the
website of the manufacturer, or email their tech-support.

I hope this is clear and usable,
Marcel Pol