Re: IBM IdeaScan

Warren Chartier (icebalm@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 03:00:17 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Brad Johnson wrote:

> Unfortunately, I looked all over IBM's website and the only two
> scanners I can find any information about are the IdeaScan (the parallel one
> that I have) and the IdeaScan 2000 (A USB version of the former). Apparently,
> there is no SCSI equivalent, so I have doubts that there's a SCSI controller
> in there (That, and the fact that there are very few chips inside the scanner,
> and the box even says that the big chip is an ASIC chip used to speed up scans
> by using compression in some way)

There was none for mine either, however when probed at startup by the
Linux SCSI subsystem the truth gets known, its really a ScanMaker 330CS.

> I haven't noticed any signs of SCSI when configuring it in Windows...
> but then, it doesn't even seem to show up in the Device listings.
>
> I wonder if IBM has any plans on supporting this scanner in Linux...

Yeah, I guess it isn't. Mine installed a software "SCSI Adaptor" in the
windows device listing and the scanner shows up there aswell.

One thing you could do is ask IBM rather nicely for some documentation on
it (be sure to mention linux even tho SANE runs on many unices, companies
love the buzzword...) to possibly write your own or post here if you
can't? It's worth a shot.

Warren Chartier
Minister of the Mobile Mechanized Infantry - http://www.juga.com
Fight Spam - Join CAUSE! http://www.cause.org

---- BEGIN ECHELON BLOCK ----
SCUD missile Ortega AK-47 Uzi $400 million in gold bullion Rule Psix Nazi
militia Project Monarch counter-intelligence JFK cypherpunk Kibo Ron Brown
clones bomb special-ops terrorism WACO nuclear missile MI5
----- END ECHELON BLOCK -----