Re: Umax Parallel

Dmitry Veprintsev (dbv@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:25:29 +0000

You can (or can you?) try win3.11 drivers - they do not use .vxd (i
tried them under '95 running in VMware - works but no logging - vmware
access port mostly directly). If it gives some hope, i will probaly kill
some weekends as well.
2) i have found on the net captured communication and some initial steps
into driver development (given up) - check the sane-devel or parport
archives (i still have them - just couldnt find the URL)
Dmitry
"Jonathan A. Buzzard" wrote:

> espenlaub@informatik.uni-ulm.de said:
> > ... or you could try to get the TWAIN driver running under WINE. Open
> > source emulators (WINE, dosemu, ...) are a great reverse engineering
> > tool, because decent operating systems can control almost anything
> > going on inside the system/computer hardware. So WINE has some code
> > that actually does the printer port emulation. At least it should.
>
> Been tried, unfortunately the Windows scanner drivers make use of .vxd's
> which Wine does not support. The run well under VMware but it provides
> no method of logging the parallel port at the moment.
>
> > By the way: is their scanner driven by a SCSI-over-parallel protocol
> > (which means that there is some SCSI driver installed by the Umax
> > software) or is it some fully proprietary protocol? If it's SCSI then
> > you can cut a few corners.
>
> It's totally proprietary, though I believe UMAC licensed it to other
> scanner manufactures.
>
> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
> Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Dr. Dmitry Veprintsev; mailto:dbv@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
MRC Centre for Protein Eng., Hills Rd., Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
ph:  44(1223)402027 fax: 44(1223)402140
http://macx48.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk