Re: Takes really long

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:53:23 +0100

Klaas Freitag wrote:

> The call to the sane_open-function takes a tremendious long time - with my
> scanner, which is a mustek 12000(-something) on a ncr-SCSI-Card on a SuSE
> linux, it takes easily 10-15 seconds. In that period, the GUI hangs. I
> think, Oliver, you have a similar problem in XSane ?

If yoor scsi-driver is a module and you load it the first time
it can take such a long time because the driver has to be loaded and
the scsi bus has to be scanned.
If I call xsane a second time it is much faster. It also is much faster
when the scsi driver is compiled into the kernel - waht make other things
more compilcated.

Bye
Oliver

--