Re: next release?

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:14:01 +0100

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [William L. Sebok]
> > Speaking of which, is there any word on when will be the next
> > release? sane-1.0.1 dates from 21-Apr-99.
>
> I'm not aware of any such plans. But then again, I'm just maintaining
> the CVS repository. Making releases is Davids domain.

I talked about a new release with David some weeks ago.
He does not have the time to prepare that in the moment.

If we want to make a stable version with the help of CVS,
we need a stable-CVS archiv and a development version.
I think we should make more CVS snapshots and put a link
from the sane homepage to the current stable CVS snapshot.

But I am not sure if all backend authors do use sane CVS.
It is important that every backend is up to date in the CVS
or is made up to date at least once a month if there have been
any important changes.

> I've been planning to make a new CVS snapshot, but I wanted a test
> environment first to make sure everything compiled. Maybe later
> today. The content is mostly release 1.0.1 plus backend updated and
> bugfixes.
>
> Are there anyone actually using the CVS snapshots or am I wasting my
> time?

You are not wasting your time. It is good to have a recent snapshot.
We should call out an "keep the CVS code up to date"-phase now
and some weeks later we should call a "test the CVS version"-phase.
Some more weeks later we should call a "code freeze - only bugfixes"-phase.
Then we can use CVS to get a new, STABLE version!

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch