Re: Mustek doesn't work

Frank Tscheuschner (tscheu@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:24:38 +0100

Thorsten Pfaff wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm new in the list and didn' t know if it was disscussed yet.
> Have a new scanner Mustek ScanExpress 12000 plus on a Symbios 53810
> SCSI-Controller running under SuSE 6.2, Kernel 2.2.13 with unified IDE-patch for
> ALI15x3 and some other chipsets.
> SCSI-support works, /proc/scsi/scsi reports:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun:00
> Vendor: SCANNER Model: Rev: V101
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS
>
> find-scanner reports:
> find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER V101" at device /dev/scanner
> find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER V101" at device /dev/sg0
> find-scanner: found scanner "SCANNER V101" at device /dev/sga
>
> scanimage -L reports nothing.

Did you check your configuration files /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and
/etc/sane.d/mustek.conf ?
Are the permissions of /dev/sg0 set correctly? In my case:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 21 1999 /dev/scanner ->
/dev/sg4
crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 4 Apr 5 1999 /dev/sg4

I donīt scan as root so Iīm member of the group "scanner".

> My questions now are:
> Has the scanner to be terminated? It's the only device on the bus.
You could buy a terminator but if the scanner is the only device on the
bus it should work. You will definitely run into troubles if you have
more than three devices on the bus. If everything fails you should buy
one. A passive terminator is ok.

> What does ANSI SCSI revision 01 CCS mean? Shouldn't it be 02?
Most scanners only have an SCSI-1 interface (25 pin connector). CCS
means "common command set".

Sorry that I donīt have the time to look more closer at this problem. I
hope that somebody has more useful hints.

Greetinx
Frank

--
Frank Tscheuschner                    tscheu@cs.tu-berlin.de