Re: Scanning in a network with Microtek2

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 01:33:10 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 08:40:42PM +0100, Nicolas Michael wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I don't know whether I'm right here but I've been trying to get help
> everywhere else I could think of but no one could help me :-(
>
> I've been trying to get a Microtek Scanmaker 636 working in a network
> environment. I´m using SuSE 6.1 (2.2.5). In this distribution saned
> seems to be missing, so I installed SANE 1.0.1-2 from your homepage. I
> set everything up properly (at least I think so!?).
>
> Whithout using the "net"-device everything works just fine:
> "scanimage -dmicrotek2:/dev/sg0" works with the scanner.
> BUT:
> "scanimage -dnet:localhost:microtek2:/dev/sg0" does NOT work (and - what
> is more important - scanning from other hosts does not work of course!):
> I always get the error message: "scanimage: open of device
> net:localhost:microtek2:/dev/sg0 failed: Error during device I/O"
>
> In /var/log/messages there is an entry:
> Nov 1 16:35:51 knecht saned[219]: access by root@localhost accepted
> Nov 1 16:35:51 knecht kernel: ncr53c810-0-<6,*>: device did not report
> SYNC.
> Nov 1 16:35:51 knecht saned[219]: exiting
>
> (Device 6 on the NCR-SCSI is the scanner of course.)
>
> Why does scanimage not work with the net device? Why do I only get the
> NCR-error message when using the net device? Did I forget to configure
> anything properly? Or is there a bug?

Good questions. I must admit that I don't know what this logfile entry
exactly means, but it looks more like a SCSI related problem. Nevertheless,
can you provide a trace with SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2 set to 30 and
SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI set to 1.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder