Re: Autoconf/configure

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:16:41 +0200

"Scott J. Kramer" wrote:

> On Wed, 27-Oct-1999 @ 17:48, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Autoconf/configure
> > "Scott J. Kramer" wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > And sometimes CPPFLAGS=... can be of value to convince `configure'
> > > that certain features exist in non-standard places on your system.
> >
> > Hi,
> > as far as I could see the variable INCLUDES is better than CPPFLAGS,
>
> INCLUDES doesn't show up much in several `configure' scripts I checked
> so it's apparently not well supported. I see you've got it in xsane,
> with "-I/usr/local/include" unconditionally appended. It's questionable
> whether that's correct but it doesn't really matter since it's ignored
> if the directory doesn't exist.
>
> > I am not sure if LIBS or LDFLAGS is the right one.
>
> I think intended usage is "LDFLAGS=-llibrary ..." and "LIBS=-Ldir ...",
> with inevitable exceptions (details upon request :-). Might also add
> "-s" to LDFLAGS and "-Rdir" to LIBS, for example.
>
> The GNU Coding Standards doesn't clarify use of any of these variables.
>
> Here's the `configure' line I used for xsane-0.39:
>
> env CFLAGS=-O2 LDFLAGS=-s LIBS='-L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib/sane -R/opt/local/lib:/opt/local/lib/sane' ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-static --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/X11
>
> Took a couple tries to get that right. :-)

Hi,

I did some tests myself and it looks like using INCLUDES is not a good idea
because the Path is only used for compiling and not for the tests in configure

I am not sure if LIBS= or LDFLAGS= is the right thing, LIBS is used for
the depenancies of the binaries in the Makefile, LDFLAGS are used for
linking, not for compiling.

If both work thats good too.

Bye
Oliver