Re: Microtek Phantom 636cx again

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 02:19:48 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 08:49:00AM +0200, Levente NOVAK wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Bernd Schroeder wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry for the late response.
> >

> Hello,
>
> No problem, thanks for the responses.
>
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 08:13:20PM +0200, =??Q?Nov=E1k_Levente?= wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I don't know of a method what would permit to "intercept" the commands sent by the Windows driver. Do you?
> > >

> > You could try it with wine, which has builtin tracing capabilities.
> > I tried it some months ago with a SCSI model and managed to get it
> > scanning the SCSI bus using the ASPI 16-bit layer with a simple
> > test application, that comes with the Microtek software. IIRC it is
> > called scantest.exe.
> >

> Yesterday, I tried Wine, but unfortunately without success. In fact, I did
> not manage Wine to work reliably, and it always crashed (I installed the
> oct. 98 version, the one that is part of Debian 2.1). After configuring
> the SCSI ID, channel and LUN in wine.conf, and scantest.exe was
> succesfully launched, it detected my scanner properly, however when I
> clicked on the test scan button, I got a segfault.

Out of curiosity I tried it, too, last weekend. The version of wine was
990704. It worked with one of the Windows test applications and my X6 SCSI
model. And guess what: The colors were exchanged. :)

But forget wine for the moment. Today I have received an information,
which *might* explain, why your model produces vertical stripes. The
information was related to the Phantom 336cx, but I think, it
might apply to the Phantom 636cx, too.

If so, the problem is rather, how the backend processes the data, and so
a trace of the commands would not be sufficient. Some few details are still
not clear, but I hope they will be anytime soon. In any case some major
enhancements to the backend are necessary.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de