Re: SANE 1.0.1 locks up system: Linux 2.2.10, Agfa SnapScan 1236s

Kevin Charter (charter@cs.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:55:46 -0600 (MDT)

> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, abel deuring wrote:
>
> > Make sure that you have the latest version of the Agfa backend
> > installed. There is an incompatibility between older version of the
> > backend and Linux kernels >= 2.2.6.
>
> --> Just tried that...it still locks up my system solid.

When you run xscanimage, does it start up successfully or does the
machine lock up immediately? I'm wondering whether it's the sequence
of commands for scanning an image that cause the problem, and whether
there are some commands that cause no problems (presumably INQUIRY
is fine, since find-scanner uses it).

I realize that you may not get much if the machine hangs, but could
you try setting the environment variable SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN to
5 or 10 and running scanimage or xscanimage again, piping stderr to
a file? If we're lucky, the debugging output might at least
show where things hang.

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter