Re: umax parallel port scanners - how to log protocol

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:41:12 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Dmitry Veprintsev wrote:

> OK. Unfortunately, vmware only claims the port, then gets the
> baseaddress and then directly accesses it. So, it cannot be used for
> the protocol snooping purposes at the moment (i also asked on the
> vmware news groups). next idea (but not nearly as simple):

Right. That's what I thought originally.

I _think_ the VMware guys are still planning on using ppdev proper at some
stage in the future.

If not, perhaps the FreeMware folks will..

> Is it possible to make software emulation of the PC port (at different
> address), and have vmware write to it, and have it redirected to the
> real port? (sort of aliasing the parport registers)? this will make
> the "remote" parport possible as well.

You'd have to do exactly the same tricks that VMware does.

Tim.
*/