Re: Epson GT5000 with Adaptec 2906 working!

John Vickers (jvickers@dial.pipex.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:56:14 +0100

Daniel James wrote:
> I twigged what I was doing wrong when someone said 'i've commented out every
> line in dll.conf except...' Somehow I missed the instruction to comment out
> the other scanner names - once I did that, it worked first time.

So it's behaving itself still ? Exactly which sane driver are you using
?
The driver which comes with SANE-1.0.1, or Clive Stubbings' driver
( http://www.vjet.demon.co.uk/scanner/ ) ?

His report of his contact with Epson suggests that they were slightly
less
helpful than they would have been had they just told him to bugger off.

One appealing thing about the Epson scanners is that they seem to have
normal SCSI connectors, and onboard switchable termination, which is
pretty
amazing for a scanner. With all the other low-end SCSI - or is that
"skuzzy" -
scanners it seem like obtaining cabling & terminators can be
problematic.

On the other hand, the Epson driver looks like it's
been hacked about by various people over the years, without having a
regular maintainer. I guess an optimist might think that was because
the original driver was nearly bug free.

Regards,

John.