Re: SANE V2 - again...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:08:12 +0200

abel deuring wrote:

> Hi Oliver!
>
> > If we want to add color correction as a "midend" it could be interesting
> > to add a well known option for the color correction matrix (3x3).
> > But this could also be done in a frontend, that does not make much
> > work so I would'nt write a midend for it.
>
> I would like to extend the topic of colour correction: Having a quite
> simple option for a linear transformation is of course fine in many
> situations, but it is not enough for high quality scans. [OK, the
> following mixes the topics of colour correction and calibration...] Look
> for example into some documents of the ICC
> (http://www.color.org/profiles.html or
> http://www.color.org/iccprofiles.html): The ICC profiles allow for
> non-linear transformations in order to achieve better quality. A quite
> complicated but perhaps useful approach to use ICC profiles within Sane
> qould be a transformation

> raw
> scan -----------------> CIELab ------------------------> output
> data mapped using data mapped using an data
> an ICC profile ICC profile for
> for the scanner CRT tubes
> (or whatever)

Hi Abel,

the question about color correction is always where do we get the
device dependant correction values for our scanner/monitor/printer.

We could create a 3x3 matrix of gamma tables and we would get
almost all possible corrections. But the problem is to get the values for the
matrix/table for each device.

Is there a database for scanners/monitors and printers for the ICC?

So before we integrate a good collor correction algorithm that almost
nobody can use, we have to take a look if we are able to get or find out
the relevant correction values for the color correction.

If nothing other helps:
As far as I see the correction via a 3x3 matrix is a simple and effective way
and it should be possible to get the 9 values for the devices.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE