Re: Mustek MFS-6000CX, once again please.

Georg Huettenegger (georg@mondoshawan.unix.cslab.tuwien.ac.at)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:16:47 +0200 (CEST)

hi mike

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 ml@vianetinc.com wrote:

> Hate to be a pest but anyone out there can tell me if I need a SCSI
> terminator given that I'm using a new SCSI card. The Mustek came without
> one and I'm a little confused over the difference between the the
> Mustek-supplied "SCSI" card and a "real" card.
>
> Please advise. Thanks.

well either your scanner has autoermination (highly unlikely) or you will
need termination. nevertheless some scsi adapters are very tolerant about
such issues (especially with only one device connected).

i would recommend you to get a ncr/symbios logic 810a card (should
probably cost around $50). this card is a quite good fast-scsi ii pci card
supported by all major systems (including linux). the adaptec 1505 you
mentioned earlier can only be recommended for people without pci slots
(it is also a fast-scsi ii controller but is not capable of bus mastering
which forces the cpu to do all the scsi-transfer work).

so in my opinion (and i also own a mustek scsi scanner) for a correct scsi
termination you will need to buy an external terminater and connect it to
the second connector on the mustek scanner.

for your scsi card i would recommend you buy a ncr 810a which gives you a
good scsi controller and your system should (this is my personal
experience) work without proper termination. of course with virtually any
other card than the proposed adaptec 1505 you will need to buy a proper
cable (the one packaged with the scanner won't fit).

hope this helps,
georg