Re: SANE V2 - again...

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:32:57 +0200

Milon Firikis wrote:

> Oliver Rauch wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > the gamma tables should be well known options, may be the halftone patterns too,
> >
> > we should add that to the next sane standard.
> >
> > For what do you need the calibration vector in the frontend, that should be
> > handled only in the backend.
> >
> > If we want to add color correction as a "midend" it could be interesting
> > to add a well known option for the color correction matrix (3x3).
> > But this could also be done in a frontend, that does not make much
> > work so I would'nt write a midend for it.
> >
> > Bye
> > Oliver
> >

> Halo Oliver,
>
> Apple scanners allow download able
> Halftone patterns,
> Color Correction Tables,
> Calibration Vectors,
> Gamma Tables
>
> Are you sure you can do the work in some midend or frontend for all of
> them?
> -For Gamma definitely not
> -For HalfTone
> You can scan Gray level and convert
> to bitmap using the Halftone pattern to decide
> what is white and what is black but that defies
> the purpose of the B&W scanning anyway.
> -For Color Correction you should probably know the
> Initial CCT in order to make the correct transformations.
> You can always assume the I (identity matrix) but I don't think
> that holds true for apple scanners at least.
> -For calibration I don't have the manual handy and cannot comment.
>
> The question is it worth the trouble?
>
> I think it is better to allow the possibility of downloading info to the
> scanner, where it is GAMMA, CCT, calibration or halftone patterns.

Hi Milon,

please reread my mail at first: gamma and halftone tables are needed!
color correction may be,

but what shall a frontend do with a calibration vector:
what I know about such calibrations is:
the scanner does scan a white area and sends calibration data
to the backend, the backend calculates the calibration vector and
sends it back to the scanner.
There is nothing a frontend can do with it, because the calibration
is done different for each scanner-model and vendor.

Bye
Oliver

--
EMAIL: Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE