Re: Machine lock-ups while scanning. HP scanjet 5P/BusLogic Flashpoint LT

Adam Williams (awilliam@whitemice.org)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:25:55 +0000

On Aug 22, 9:17pm, Cooper wrote:
> Subject: Machine lock-ups while scanning. HP scanjet 5P/BusLogic Flashpoin
> I've been using SANE for my scanning for quite some time now, but from
> as early as I can remember the program would every now and then cause a
> lock-up for no apparent reason.
>
> I'll be scanning some page and as the data is coming in the scanner
> suddenly stops as does the rest of my machine. The SCSI activity led
> remains lit, but absolutely *NOTHING* works anymore.
> Mouse won't move, keyboard leds won't react, network connections don't
> get responded to, nothing.
> A hard reset is my only escape.
>
> I've got a HP ScanJet 5P scanner, attached to a BusLogic Flashpoint LT
> SCSI adapter.
> The adapter is SCSI ID 0. The scanner has ID 3. My harddisk (WD 9.1G) is
> attached to this adapter aswell, on ID 1, as are my CDROM player
> (Pioneer ID2) and my CDWriter(Plextor ID4).
> All the other devices on the adapter function fine.
>
> I've got a PII-450 w/ 256 MB RAM and *PLENTY* of diskspace available.
>
> There's the option to modify a .h file in the kernel source tree to
> increase the buffer size for increased speed. I've tried that (yes,
> recompiled sane after changing the value) and it didn't bring me a speed
> advantage, nor did it help put a stop to these weird lock-ups.
> Recompiled sane after changing the values back again.
>
> I'm running Slackware Linux 4 which is still using libc5. I sincerely
> hope that that's not what's causing the problems I'm experiencing.

I have a machine with both a Buslogic 930LT and a 950, any attempt to use the
930 locks up the machine tight. I have never been able to resolv this problem
with over a year of trying, yet the 950 (Ultra wide) which the drives are
connected to works fine.