Re: Acer Scanners

Andreas Beck (becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:55:32 +0200

> pre-compiled driver. Anyway, here's the message they sent me:

O.K. - I'll try to comment on their questions. Please forward as
appropriate.

> Subject: The scanner driver for Linux
> From: Regis Hsu <RegisHsu@api.com.tw>
> To: "'lashi@alphalink.com.au'" <lashi@alphalink.com.au>

> 1. Do we need to open the source code if we use GNU C/C++ to compile our
> code ?

No. You only need to do so, if you use or link to GPLed code. All libraries
and headers that are relevant are LGPL, which does not have that
restriction. However you need to use dynamic linking (which is the default
anyway) as LGPL demands that you allow the user to link to the latest
libraries if desired.

> 2. Could you help me to develop the driver ? or somebody can help me ?

The SANE people can probably help. Give him contact info to SANE and the guy
who already is working on the Acer stuff.

> 3. Does Linux support USB ?

Yes, but that is a very recent development, and is considered alpha state.
You can not expect it to be present in currently used Linux distributions.
I cannot tell how the development pace is, though.

CU, ANdy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =