Re: SANE frames

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:16:45 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> I disagree. sane_start() is a signal that the frontend is ready to
> read the next image. It does _not_ necessarily mean that the scanhead
> should go back to its start position.

Yes, haven't looked at this bit of the SANE standard recently, but that
whole area probably requires another few paragraphs of explanation
and/ or examples in SANE 1.1/2.0

As Oliver says though, we have two cases for multiple images from the
new requirements (new to SANE at least)

1. Several images from a particular page (it was mentioned that the
hardware is capable of perhaps 8 such images) or duplex scans

2. Distinct pages, from an ADF or a high-speed scanner

David, did you see my idea about adding "last_image" to the same place
as we currently indicate "last_frame" on a multi-frame image?
This flag would tell you when the frame you're seeing is the last
frame of the last image on a page. Old SANE 1.0 frontends will ignore
it and treat the whole series of images the same way they do now.

(In think about this I was envisaging a high-speed frontend that spits
out image-1-1.jpg, image-1-2.jpg, image-1-3.jpg, image-2-1.jpg etc.)

Nick.