Re: Starting a discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:07:14 +0300

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Andreas Beck wrote:
>
> > > -> TWAIN to SANE-FRONTEND-wrapper
> >
> > That is the hard part, especially, if we try to:
> >
> > > The wrapper and the standard has to be compatible to
> > > all operating systems.
> >
> > On Unix I would use some form of IPC. Probably pipes. How is it handled on
> > Win and MacOS now ?
> >

> > I think pipes are probably best for starters, as they enforce a streamed
> > protocol, that can definitely be used on any platform of interest, at worst
> > using a TCP/IP connection to localhost, which every platform that is in use
> > nowadays should support.
> >

> Hi Andy,
>
> I think we should have a look how TWAIN does this on windows/mac.
> Of course using pipes is the simplest way to do it, but as far as I know there
> are no pipes on Windows and Mac.

Hi Oliver,

I think you are wrong on that:
In win32 with the functions
[_open,_pipe_,_close,DuplicateHandle,_open_osfhandle,_dup,_dup2]
you can get the exact same functionality as with the POSIX ones [open,
close, pipe, fcntl, dup, dup2]. About the Mac I can't really comment,
but AFAIR (As Far As I Remember :)), there was a guy in this list trying
to port SANE to MACOS X, and he was somewhat official about the port.
AFAIK the MAC OS X is largely posixish but then again I may be wrong.

For all the other matters, I can' comment. Especially I don't understand
why you would like to turn your xsane into a TWAIN backend. Anyway, I am
not questioning you, because I am aware that I am missing some critical
details, and I am taking for granted that you don't :).

As a side note, I hate to fire up false alarms, but reading through the
e-mail chain (TWAIN--SANE) so far, I get the feeling that:

1) TWAIN people haven't realized that SANE is open source in general,
and GPL in particular
2) They think that they need special permission to get the code
3) They are not aware for the two TWAIN frontend to SANE attempts. Maybe
they should take a look at:
http://www.sunshinecomputing.com/winsane/
http://integramicro.com/winsane/

Finally WinZip is the standard (shareware) program for decompression in
windows world. It handles greatly *.tar.gz. So if they download
ghostcript/ghostview for win32 they could then read the SANE Standard
document.

Since you are our ambassador to the TWAIN-land, by the blessing of our
leader (David) I think you should make sure that I am wrong and the
TWAIN people are aware of the programs and documents I mentioned.
Otherwise I find the lack of knowledge about them a very good base for
mutual misunderstanding :-/.

MF