Re: Starting a discussion about SANE and TWAIN...

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 20:06:01 -0700

njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk said:
> Ok. IIRC Your scanners can do RGB, but prefer not to for speed
> reasons?

No, but I can decompress in software. The IJG library works well
enough for that, and I see no reason to require that slow/simple
apps be required to deal with silly hardware constraints.

njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk said:
> OPTION ONE -- If the backend knows before sending any data how much
> there will be exactly in the JFIF image.

6 one, 1/2dozen the other, though I think it best in general to support
reading to the end of file and not expecting the size be known a priori.
ISIS works this way. However, *I* will be able to handle option 1 because
I get the byte count directly from the scanner, so its your own foot:-)

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,