Re: [Fwd: Re: Discussion about SANE and TWAIN...]

Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:49:18 -0400

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> 252353N@knotes.kodak.com wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately my technical experience with SANE is very
> > limited at the moment. I have perused the website and
> > gathered some information on it. I would be very
> > interested in any recommended sample code that I could
> > see, as that would significantly increase my understanding
> > of SANE, as well as give me a better idea of how far away
> > we are at an engineering level from achieving some of the
> > ideas we've discussed these last two days...
>
> In general there is one programmer for a backend (driver),
> we have about 20 backends in the recent distribution.
>
> There are more backens developed and available on the web, they
> are in alpha state and not included into the official release.
>
> > The question is only to sate my curiousity (I've this
> > feeling that if these discussions proceed to their
> > potential outcome that I will be writing a SANE driver
> > eventually)... :)
>
> I think it would make the discussions and the progress
> to connect TWAIN and SANE more easy if one of our group
> knows the TWAIN standard and one of the TWAIN
> group (YOU) knows the SANE standard very well.

I took a browse through Kodak's website, specifically their document
scanner line. It seems as though another interesting and beneficial
project would be to get SANE drivers under development for Kodak's
scanner line. Perhaps Mark could assist in getting the necessaries
(specs, demo scanner, etc) to the appropriate SANE developer(s) and
use this project as a way to get himself and colleagues familiar with
the details of creating a SANE backend. Then when the Twain->SANE
interoperability is developed, there are more supported scanners to
control!

KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE Document Scanner 5500
KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE Document Scanner 7500
KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE Document Scanner 9500
KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE Document Scanner/Microimager 990
KODAK DIGITAL SCIENCE Scanner 3500

These all are SCSI based scanners, are high-speed, with feeders,
compression, etc. This will go a long way towards getting some of the
frame/compression format issues ironed out or at least closer to the
front burner.

Mark, is this possible? Could you facilitate this? What can we do
to help?

Tom Martone